Pancetta No1 - To start somewhere

I choose to start with a simple Pancetta because it's one of the easiest forms of Charcuterie - in the same category as Coppa and the South African favourite, Biltong(similar to beef jerky) - Easy because no nitrates/nitrites are needed, alas, this is the subject of some debate, one which often gets heated in the blogosphere.

Anyway, this is what I did, after much internet research and formula decisions - I opted to blend a few formulas in better ratios to my taste - I came up with this:




Formula:

+/- 1kg Belly (I used 0.87kg)
x2 Tbs whole pepper corns (keep 1Tbs for later)
x2 Tbs Juniper Berries - this i could not get, so I used x2 Allspice, ground
1/3 Cup Salt
x3 Tbs Brown Sugar
x2 Tbs Curing Salt (Optional - I did not use any)
1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg
x5 Garlic, Minced
x5 Bay leaves, dry
x2 tsp Tyme
x2 Tbs Rosmary - optional
1/3 tsp Dry Chilli Flakes - very optional!

Grind all the spices together (except the 1 Tbs black pepper), rub all over the belly, all sides, making sure to get it all rubbed in well. Place in a zip-lock plastic bag and keep in the fridge for 7-10 days (up to 15 if it's a big boy). 

After the required amount of time, take out and wash briefly under running water - just enough to rinse off the spice slightly. Pat dry with paper towel and prepare to roll as tightly as possible, I find this helps with an extra pair of hands. Tie the belly up into a roll and hang in the fridge or a cool dry place (21`c or lower). Leave to hang for a minimum of 2 weeks depending on the environment.

This has been hanging in my fridge now (next to coppas, which will be in the next post) for some 3 weeks now; I think it needs a couple more days. I am very eager to taste this beauty. I will post some pics when I have sliced and tasted it. Just know that I am a total neophyte and am finding my way slowly. If you have any comments or suggestions to where I am going wrong, please fire away.


Bresaola on the left, coppa in the centre and pancetta on the right



2 comments:

scott said...

Hi Angie. Just found your blog...........good stuff. One tip with the pancetta, tie it tight, real tight, and tie it a lot. It CAN'T be tied too tightly.

Angie B said...

Thanks Scott, appreciate the advice. I will definitely tie it much tighter next time, I’m thinking 'cable ties' and lots of them (not exactly traditional I know).This way I can really squeeze all the air gaps out. I'll be doing another one this week so will post the tighter pics and the slicing of the present one.